Re: buy or build computer?

Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> writes:

> Having someone else responsible for the hardware configuration seemed to me
> not such a bad idea.

Personally, I've never been convinced that any money saved or extra
performance would be worth my extra time and hassle.  I like having a
single contact for warranties and whatnot.  I've also heard more than
enough tales of flaky machines because the person putting it together
wasn't quite careful enough and partially fried something, or left a
screw in, or didn't seat things carefully enough, or picked items
which didn't quite work well together....  So one shouldn't do it
unless they're willing to be careful, or like to futz with it.

I figure someone should decide whether to build their own computer
based not on cost analysis, but on whether they feel like it would be
fun.  There are a lot of hobbies where things might not make strict
economic sense, but the added enjoyment makes it worth doing.  (Like
home winemakers, or those people who keep switching distros every
month.)

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
Looking for a developer in St. Louis? http://web.springies.com/~ats/