Re: buy or build computer?

I would strongly suggest you build it yourself ! It is very enjoyable and you
can customize it to your own needs. It is not that hard, as byu reading your
motherboard manual you should be able to do it by yourself :-)
And one of the best advantage is that when you buy a computer from Dell or
another, you are forced to pay for Windows :(. Build it yourself, so that you
won't need to pay your tax to Microsoft.

I can not tell you which hardware to put since I do not know your needs.
However, I can tell you what is in my box as it is all working with any
GNU/Linux distribution :

Processor : AMD Athlon XP
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-7VA based on a KT400 chipset
Sound Card : Integrated Realtek ALC650 / SoundBlaster Live!
Video Card : NVidia GeForce2 GTS
SCSI : Tekram DC390 U2/W
Network : Realtek 8139

As main recommandantions, I would recommand you avoid all NForce based
motherboards, as they are only working with a closed binary driver from
NVidia and I read on the list people are having troubles with it.

I also recommmand you AMD processor, I have been using them since long and
they are very stables for a very attractive price.

For video I think Matrox is better than GeForce as you have free drivers and
not closed proprietary drivers for 2D and 3D (as far as I know at least).
If you want 3D with Nvidia, you will have to use proprietary drivers. Well it
depends on your needs.

About the sound cards, the good old SoundBlaster Live! is working perfectly.
My Realtek ALC650 also, although it is a bit harder to configure.

Well that's it for the moment. Feel free to ask more questions if you have :-)
This is just some of my personnal experience, probably very incomplete.

Hope this helps,

Jérôme