Re: howto verify burn?

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> My post on this thread needs few errata:
>  1. CD image size can be obtained by "mount" the CD and run "df".

Interesting.  Thanks for educating us about that.

>  2. Only "readcd" run with nexact CD size can extract the correct image
>  3. "dd" tends to copy most data correct but losews last few KB of data.

I have been reading this thread with great interest because I had
determined the following behavior.

  cdrecord image-in.iso
  dd if=/dev/cdrw of=image-out-cdrw.iso   # works
  cmp image-in.iso image-out-cdrw.iso     # passes

  dd if=/dev/cdrom of=image-out-cdrom.iso # reports errors on last few kb
  cmp image-in.iso image-outcdrom.iso     # fails

The images compare exactly when being read from the cdrw drive.  But
if I move the CD out of the writer that was used to write the image
and put it in a different CD reader only, not a writer, then the
repeat the dd then the image I retrieve is different and fails
compare.  The last few kb of data is missing.  The dd reports an I/O
error when trying to read those bytes on a cd reader only device.  It
was fine on a cd writer device.

Having a number of machines and systems I repeated this test with both
cdrecord and with MS-Windows Roxio software on the both the same
hardware and on different hardware and got the same result.  Both
cdrecord and roxio had identical behavior.  A cd writer drive could
read those last few kb of data while a cd reader only drive could
not.  The cd reader only drive would generate I/O errors while trying
to read the last few sectors.  This seems to be either a common
problem or a hardware behavior.  I know too little to do more than
report the behavior I am seeing.

The behavior was "as if" the power to the writer for the last part of
the data was reduced, thereby rendering the disk readable for those
last sectors only by a writer drive.  It seems to be independent of
the size of the image written.  So to test this you might as well use
a small image created with mkisofs so the testing runs quickly.  And
use a CDRW so that there is no wasted media.

I also tested with both CDR and CDRW media.  There was no difference
in behavior based upon different media that I tried.  I tried both
good quality and cheap quality CDR media.  Same result.  Different
CDRW drives can all read the data completely with no errors.
Different CDROM drives all failed reading the last few kb.

I initially ran into this when I tried to verify that a used Phillips
DVD-CDRW combo was working correctly.  It drove me crazy for a while
trying to isolate if the drive was really good or not.  But the
behavior is matching a new Plextor CDRW exactly.  And different
independent software is generating the same result.  I imagine
something fundamental is happening that I am not understanding.

Bob