Re: Another Happy Debian User

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 10:40:58PM -0600, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
> Jeff Elkins wrote:
> >On Saturday 08 March 2003 7:27 pm, p wrote:
> >
> >>when i finally figured out how to
> >>play dvd's on a debian (sid) box,
> >>i nearly fell outta my chair.
> >
> >I can relate to that!
> >
> >I had LOTR Extended Ed. playing on my iMac using Xine under did whilst I
> >was coding on a i686 sid box that lives on the same desk...
>
> My most liberating experience with Debian so far is setting up the
> xserver and having it start up at boot! Talk about truly over joyed. :)

Hmm.  My latest melee happened when I upgraded my firewall/gateway/server
from potato to woody, and watched as ppp crumbled.  Working out the upgrade
of that kernel to 2.4.x to take the iptables "plunge", discovering that
ipchains was not automatically removed, and (still) trimming off the fat in
that 486 box (my 1st computer) have been interesting pastimes this last
week.  And naturally, I couldn't get mail out.  I guess I'm slowly picking
up some smarts about Linux.

Thank goodness Debian has such great management tools!  I couldn't have
swapped out packages so easily/quickly without them.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,