Re: wvdial permissions modem device

matt zagrabelny, 2003-Mar-07 09:16 -0600:
> i am currently stopping wvdial with:
>
> killall wvdial
>
> sometimes the permissions to /dev/modem (/dev/ttyS0)
> which are usually "root dialout -rw-rw----"
> do not get reset to this.
>
> i know that when pppd is running that it removes
> group "rw" to the device, effectively making the permissions
> "600", and then when pppd is shutdown properly it restores
> them to "660". so then it appears that pppd is not shuting
> down properly.
>

> 1) does anyone else experience this problem?

I have not.  I run wvdial from a terminal and when I'm done I Ctrl-C
in that terminal.  The Ctrl-C always shuts down pppd properly.

> 2) do you know why sometimes wvdial can "properly" kill pppd
> and other times it cant?

Nope.

> 3) what solutions have people used for this problem?

I haven't needed one, but you could right a script that will kill both
wvdial and find the PID of pppd and kill it too, if it exists.

Something simple run from root, or preferrably sudo:

<bof>
#!/bin/sh
echo "Stopping wvdial..."
killall wvdial
echo "Checking pppd..."
PPPD_PID=`ps axww | grep pppd | awk '{print $1}'`
if [ "$PPPD_PID" != "" ]; then
   kill -9 $PPPD_PID
   echo "pppd process killed"
else
   echo "pppd already dead"
fi
<eof>

Bear in mind, this bitty script is quick and dirty and needs testing.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User