Re: stung by dependancies

Marlin Unruh wrote:
I would like to switch from an RPM based package handling distro. In fact I installed a debian distro, but uninstalled it because one of the main programs I use is for drawing schematics and PCB. It uses some old components, ld-linux.so.1 and libc-5.3.12-3, both in RPM form. Is there any way I can install them in a debian distro?
Please help! I want to switch, bad.

Marlin

The "ld-linux.so.1" is contained withing the "ldso" package in Debian Woody (Stable).

The "libc-5.3.12-3" doesn't seem to be available in existing Woody packages, but a later version (libc5 5.4.46-12) is in the "libc5" Woody package. It might work... dunno until you try it.

Both of the above are in the "oldlibs" directory.

In any case if you already have a RPM containing the required files, it can be installed via the "alien" program.

If you are looking for a specific file, you can use the file search feature at the Debian website to find out what package it is in. http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages at the bottom of the page.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-