Debian cannot recognize NIC

Did a clean install of Debian Woody w/kernel
2.4.18-bf2.4 yesterday and when it came time to load
modules for my NIC, which is a 3Com Fast Etherlink XL
10/100 Base TX, it was giving me errors.  Since I
can't get this machine on my network, unable to get
apt-get up as well.

What do I have to do to get Debian to load the right
modules here for my NIC?

thanks

-Chris

=====
Winning an argument on the internet is like getting 1st place at the Special Olympics