Re: hard drives larger than 137gb

Ric Otte said:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use some of the large IDE hard drives (such as 160, 180,
> 200gb) that are being advertised  with linux?  If so, is some sort of
> patch needed to be able to 'see' the whole drive?  And can I install it
> just as I would a normal hard drive?    Thanks,

if you use a really recent 2.4.x kernel it should work. I think about
a year ago a patch was introduced that allowed 48-bit addressing. I'd
think it'd be part of the standard 2.4.x tree by now.

I haven't read anything whether or not 2.2.x has such support I don't
think it does.

if all else fails run a search for 48 bit addressing linux on some
search engines.

nate