Re: Orinocco Silver and wep encryption.

Hi!

So now I have _some_ success with the 40bit key. :)

After Shyamal told about problems with the s:password I tried to set key
via its hex value. I tried something similar to

   iwconfig eth0 essid "the networks essid"
   iwconfig eth0 mode managed
   iwconfig eth0 key 5432154321

Afterwards iwconfig shows, that all parameters got set correctly and I can
use the network. Fine :)

eth0      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"the network essid"  Nickname:"seneca"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437GHz  Access Point: 00:80:C8:B8:10:DE
          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:5432-1543-21
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:32/92  Signal level:-62 dBm  Noise level:-95 dBm

Then I tried some random key like "57f2df9ed5", which I did set on the
accesspoint and the card correctly, and hush, the Orinoco card gets
problems de-crypting the packages.

There seems to be some 40bit keys working (coincident that I found one),
but most not. Any ideas?

And to answer Marks question: I know about WEP not beeing secure. The
reason why I nonetheless want to activate is, that I do not want to send
our network trafic of our dormitroy 300m freely into the neighbourhood so
that anywone can read/sniff it in plain text. Most of the trafic is
crypted anyways (ssh, https) and over the other ones (like http, SMB)
there are no to secret data transmitted. Our accesspoint and gateway are
confiured not to accept network trafic from and not to generate network
trafic to unknown network interfaces.

Thanxs for the help so far,
- Martin