Re: Orinocco Silver and wep encryption.

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 01:20:10AM -0500, Mark Roach wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 11:33, Martin Fluch wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I try to get the WEP encryption (sure, it is not secure but better than
> > nothing) on my wireless card (Orinocco Silver) to work at home. No problem
> > to use it under Windows, but it doesn't work with Linux.
> >

> Not to get too offtopic here, but my view on this is that it's better to
> treat a wep encrypted link as if there were no encryption on it, so to
> keep myself from being lazy and trusting wep, I have just turned it off.
> Most protocols are capable of using encryption these days and otherwise
> you can set up a vpn (or ssh port forwarding) quite easily.
>
> I guess I would rather have a proper sense of insecurity than a false
> sense of security. Anyone with me on that or am I just goofy?

I can see it both ways.

On the one hand, broken security is no security at all (I believe this
is what you are arguing).  Therefore setting up said security is a
waste of time.

On the other hand, I could say "I'm not going to put a lock on the
door of this garage because people can pick locks.  I'll just put in a
screen door with a spring to keep it closed."  Here I am less secure
than if I had implemented the broken security.

Now, my approach to 802.11: I ran it for a while.  Partly because I
have a cheap prism card and partly because my (old) laptop acts up a
lot I have decommissioned my 802.11; I knew it wasn't very secure even
with WEP but I gambled that no-one in my neighborhood was smart enough
to (ab)use my 802.11.  If and when I set it up again, I'd like to use
IPSEC, and hopefully better hardware ;-)

  There's a positive side to non-technical people -- they actually
  tend to have some grasp of how human psyche works.
          -- Josip Rodin (on d-devel)