Re: apt-get security question

* Bob Paige <bobman@Iname.com> [20030307 11:53 PST]:
> So, what is the chance that someone could spoof access to an update
> server? Does apt-get provide some sort of security (i.e. ssh connection
> to the server, or digital signatures on the packages)?

You can use signed packages for something like this.  AFAIK, the
infrastructure is there, it just hasn't been deployed for the debian
package repositories.  Your client can use debsig-verify to only accept
packages which have been signed by your key.

> Or if the number of packages to install is small enough, just download
> them and install them.

I was thinking this, too: RPM vs apt-get is not the only reason why
debian is better than redhat!  Even if you decide not to use apt for
system updates, you can still base your system on debian, and work out
some other system for updates, or just download and install the debs one
by one, a la rpm.

good times,
Vineet
--