Re: apt-get security question

nate wrote:

Bob Paige said:
I am curious about how secure the apt-get system is; is it possible to
spoof a debian server and thus send compromised updates to a given
machine?

If you have 3rd party apt sources in your sources.list it is very
easy to spoof an update. Which is one reason I don't have 3rd party
sources, a couple years back I had I think kde.tdyc.com for KDE updates
on potato, and for some 4#!# reason whoever runs the mirror put a new
version of SSH on there, I managed to catch it quickly when my SSH
settings broke a few minutes later.

But in your case, the maintainer put up some bogus packages.

What I'm really thinking about is the appropriateness of using Debian for a Linux-based appliance. At my work they have Linux appliances, but they are always based on RedHat. I would think the apt-get functionality would be much more reliable than RPM-hell.

In the debian-appliance scenario I don't think you'd want to use the standard debian sources. Rather, you'd want to control them, for example the manufacturer of the appliance could run a server of approved/tested updates. That way we could provide application updates in addition to security updates to a customer box.

So, what is the chance that someone could spoof access to an update server? Does apt-get provide some sort of security (i.e. ssh connection to the server, or digital signatures on the packages)?

it would be nice if there was a setting to set priority to certain
sites. e.g. do not update ANY packages that are installed unless they
come from X site. or maybe better, ONLY allow X packages to be installed
from this mirror.

Doesn't apt_preferences do this? I've only used it a little bit.

when I do need 3rd party sources I add them, do the update/install
carefully then remove them and run update again so the cache is
flushed.

Or if the number of packages to install is small enough, just download them and install them.

--
Bobman