Re: Orinocco Silver and wep encryption.

Martin Fluch wrote:
Hi!

I try to get the WEP encryption (sure, it is not secure but better than
nothing) on my wireless card (Orinocco Silver) to work at home. No problem
to use it under Windows, but it doesn't work with Linux.

I have Debian Unstable on my laptop, a recent 2.4.20-ac2 kernel, iwconfig
version 25 and I use the orinoco_cs module which comes with the kerenel.
[snip]

I have that card working. You need to add your encryption key to the /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file, something like this:

# Lucent Wavelan IEEE (+ Orinoco, RoamAbout and ELSA)
# Melco/Buffalo Networks WLI-PCM-L11
# Note : wvlan_cs driver only, and version 1.0.4+ for encryption support
*,*,*,00:60:1D:*|*,*,*,00:02:2D:*)
    INFO="Wavelan IEEE example (Lucent default settings)"
    ESSID="your_net_name_here"
    MODE="Managed"
#    RATE="auto"
    KEY="FF-FFFF-FFFF [2] key [2]"
# To set all four keys, use :
# KEY="s:secu1 [1] key s:secu2 [2] key s:secu3 [3] key s:secu4 [4] key [1]"
# For the RG 1000 Residential Gateway: The ESSID is the identifier on
# the unit, and the default key is the last 5 digits of the same.
#   ESSID="084d70"
#   KEY="s:84d70"
    ;;

Important to set the ESSID, MODE, and KEY.  Note my example uses a hex key
and key 2.  The Orinoco silver support 4 different keys.

Make sure the CASE statement at the top of /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts is _uncommented_ and that all other card types are _commented_ out.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Wake up, baby, cause I'm coming to you from the future -- D Wyndorf