Re: USB not on after install

Thus spake Joan Tur:
> I installed from 1 Woody CD, then from the net.  As both printer (Epson C82)
> and scanner (Epson 610) are usb I need usb support to be installed... but it
> is not by default:
<snip>
> A few more details:
> 1. kernel installed is 2.2.20-idepci,
> 2. I have no usb* modules in /lib/modules
> 3. There's only 1 directory, called "pci", at /proc/bus

The -idepci kernel doesn't contain the usb modules, and you will need
the userspace 'hotplug' package to take advantage of the usb support.

You will most likely need to do the following:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.20 hotplug

It would probably be better to go to a 2.4 kernel -- I believe the usb
support in 2.4 is more complete.  (kernel-image-2.4.18-586 for a
pentium-optimized kernel)

After installing the kernel, and making sure /etc/lilo.conf is updated,
and lilo has been run (unless you've switched to grub), you'll obviously
need to reboot.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

"By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the task
completely overwhelm me." -- Ashleigh Brilliant