Re: Libranet to Sarge

Colin Watson wrote:
On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 04:24:46PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:

Libranet is a commercial distro (and a very good one too - it's what I
use). Anyway, the installer and configuration utilities are the property
of the owners, so Debian can't simply adopt it without permission. The
free version 2.0 that you downloaded is free because the Libranet owners
have generously chosen to make it so (presumably, to encourage you to
eventually purchase the newer version 2.7, or the upcoming 2.8).
However, just because 2.0 is available free doesn't mean that it was
released under the GPL, as Debian is.

Debian isn't released under the GPL. Bits of it are, certainly.

You can, of course, continue to upgrade your Libranet installation with
apt-get. I'm not real sure what happens when you mix and match programs
from gcc 2.95 with binaries that were compiled under gcc 3.2. Maybe
someone else more technically astute can answer that.

With programs written in C it's fine, but it won't work with C++.
However, as long as you're only dealing with packages then the
transition plan we're using at the moment should still be effective.

Thank you Robert and Colin for your replies.

While I like a lot about Libranet, my plan was to use it as a short cut installer for Debian. I hope that doesn't violate the spirit of the free (older) Libranet version. The price of Libranet seems a little high to me, considering that they rely on Debian to provide security fixes, but damn the installer is nice ;)

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Wake up, baby, cause I'm coming to you from the future -- D Wyndorf