Re: no X after installing msttcorefonts

praveen kallakuri wrote:

hello

i tried this on debian laptops but dint get any useful responses.
hopefully someone here can help me.

here's my setup; woody -- 2.4.17 customized for acpi - gnome2 - gdm2

i recently upgraded to gnome2 and things were fine except that my fonts
were smudgy. the font-HOWTO i was reading mentioned that certain apps
like netscape can do better rendering if they can access microsoft font
package. thats what i did. i found out from somewhere that the font
package was called msttcorefonts and installed it with apt-get. debian
configurator lead me through installing various msft fonts and then i
restarted xfs and gdm. thats when i the problem started. i no longer
have a display! :(

looking at the log files dint help much. maybe someone can read between
the lines. am including the entire content on these links:

    http://csce.unl.edu/~pkallaku/pub/general/XFree86.0.log

(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
	No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

That's your problem-you don't have '/dev/input/mice'.

You have two mice?

Try 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'ing the Generic Mouse out (keep the Configured Mouse) and see what happens.

    http://csce.unl.edu/~pkallaku/pub/general/XF86Config-4

looking anxiously for someone to help me.
--
ah