cookies

can anybody tell me for sure whether lynx-ssl in debian has
exp_persistent_cookies
compiled in or not. If so, can anybody tell me where my problem might lie.
right now, in the lynx.cfg, I have it configured to accept all cookies,
set_cookies is TRUE, and so is persistent_cookies. My cookie file and file for
saving cookies are both ~/.lynx_cookies. when I go online, cookies do end up in
the file and they are there when I quit lynx. But if i start lynx again and
access a website that gives me a cookie, all my cookies from the previous
session are then gone. If I access lynx but don't add any new cookies, I believe
the cookies from the last session still stay there.
I also have a shell account for backup and notice that when I obtain cookies in
consecutive sessions there the new cookies are added without wiping out the
former ones.
I am also wondering what the true/false combinations (sometimes both true or
both false or one of each) mean in the cookies in the file.
thanks.

Cheryl