Re: apt-src question

Simon Eilting wrote:
> hope this is the correct place to ask. Why is it, that when I install a
> package with apt-src, and do an apt-get -u upgrade after that, that the
> package is to be 'upgraded' to another package of the exact same
> version from the debian server? Isn't it only supposed to upgrade if
> the version number has changed? Or do I need to do something special
> after installing the from-source package? This happens with every
> package, I tried 9. I am using an up-to-date sid.

It's because apt some weird ideas about package versions. It basically
refuses to let you keep installed a locally built package if a package
of the same version is available in sources.list. Personally I think
this is quite braindead. There are some possibile workarounds (create a
local repository and make sure apt knows about it, or increment the
version number), but they all introduce unnecessary complications and so
I have been unwilling to add hacks of this sort to apr-src, preferring
instead to put some pressure on apt to get this misfeature fixed.

--
see shy jo