Re: must.. surpress ... murderous rage.... (simple boot floppy qveshtion)

Victor Stan said:

> Why is Debian so retarded on simple boot floppies??? Red Hat is like:
> makebootdisk <kernel location> <floppy location> And done! WHY WHY WHY?

I think debian 2.2 had the mkbootdisk program. I don't see it in 3.0.
I really didn't like it. Main reason was that it seemed to use SYSLINUX
and created a boot disk which I was unable to pass kernel parameters to
at runtime. e.g. different root partition, scsi driver options(most often
used is aic7xxx=no_reset), memory options(mem=XXXM), init options
(init=/bin/bash) ..maybe the redhat version is different in this regard.

Second, because of the above the bootdisk was generally tied to a specific
system, since my root device is usually different on most every machine
I have. Looking at the mkbootdisk manpage on my redhat 7.3 makes me
think of this tool I used on debian 2.2, not 100% sure but it looks
the same ..looking at the /sbin/mkbootdisk script(bash script) itself
I think confirms it, it uses a MSDOS filesystem on the floppy and
uses syslinux to make the disk:( ugh. The syslinux package description
on debian 3.0 even says:

"SYSLINUX is probably not suitable as a general purpose boot loader.
However, SYSLINUX has shown itself to be quite useful in a number of
special-purpose applications."

so, I make my boot disks manually using lilo, there seem to be some
boot/root disk tools(apt-cache search bootdisk). Gives me the flexibility
I need. Haven't tried making a bootdisk with grub(very little experience
with grub myself).

nate
(happy debian user since 1998)