Re: kernel-source-2.4.18-bf2.4?

Kent West wrote:
Donald Spoon wrote:

That said, you can install a perfectly workable version of ALSA using apt-get on the pre-compiled debs in the Debian package repository. All you have to do is match the pre-compiled ALSA version with your kernel. Not all available kernels have matching pre-compiled ALSA debs, but the 2.4.19 kernel-image series does.

Do you know if this is due to policy? Technical reasons? No one's gotten around to it yet? What? I'm running stock 2.4.20, and there appear to be no alsa deb for that version. Or maybe I'm just not seeing it . . . .

Thanks!

Dunno.... I just report what I see, and that is only the 2.4.16 and 2.4.19 kernels have pre-compiled debs. The 2.4.19 kernel is perfectly suitable for my environment & my equipment, so I don't have any pressures to go with the 2.4.20 or later kernels. Others with more modern equipment may find it necessary to run a more recent kernel that supports their hardware. I suspect it is just a matter of "free" time to make the debs, and other things have more priority. There has to be a companion package the each of the various "kernel-image" offerings. Considering this and the fact there are 11 different CPU types, this represents a LOT of debs to compile!

I have compiled the ALSA modules, and it isn't all that hard IF you know a bit about compiling and are comfortable with the process. The instructions on the ALSA site are pretty clear. The debs cover all the possible sound cards from what I see, while the instructions I used was oriented towards just compiling the modules you needed for your card. One is a "generic" approach, while the other is specific to your card(s). This all may become moot when ASLA gets embedded into the kernel. I hear that it is in the 2.5.XX developemental kernels now and will be part of the 2.6.X series when it is released.

I also have observed that for most sound cards I have used, the OSS drivers built into the "stock" kernels work just as well as ALSA. I really don't see any advantages to ALSA (for me) at this time. It all boils down to working through the configuration of each type/method, and each way has its advantages and disadvantages, IMHO.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-