Re: make-kpkg, stock kernel, and alsa

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:

> When I downloaded the alsa-source, it put a tar.bz2 file in
> /usr/src. I bunzip2'ed it and untarred it, which put the "alsa-driver"
> directory in /usr/src/modules. I also downloaded the
> kernel-headers. Then run I run cd into /usr/src/linux and "make-kpkg
> modules", it seems to think I'm compiling a kernel instead of just the
> modules against the headers.

to compile external modules debs, you should write:

 make-kpkg modules_image

I have written a small guide for installing alsa on debian. However,
it assumes you compile your own kernel as well.

 http://www.d.kth.se/~d98-jas/debian/debian-install-alsa.txt

As for no pre compiled alsa modules for 2.4.20. I guess, they just
haven't arrived yet.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=182315 also has some
nice info that the alsa build docs are being improved.

--
___\ Jon Åslund