make-kpkg, stock kernel, and alsa

I've compiled a kernel or few, but mostly just stumbled through the process.

Question 1:
--------
Currently I'm running a stock 2.4.20-k7 kernel (apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.20-k7). My sound card is not supported yet by the kernel drivers, so I have to fall back to using alsa, which does support the card.

Near as I can tell, there are no binary alsa drivers; I have to download the source and compile. However, apparently I can't compile the alsa modules without having the full kernel source for my running kernel. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It seems a bit crazy that I can't run alsa modules with a stock kernel, forcing me to roll my own kernel. Perhaps there's a good reason for that? Or am I misunderstanding?

When I downloaded the alsa-source, it put a tar.bz2 file in /usr/src. I bunzip2'ed it and untarred it, which put the "alsa-driver" directory in /usr/src/modules. I also downloaded the kernel-headers. Then run I run cd into /usr/src/linux and "make-kpkg modules", it seems to think I'm compiling a kernel instead of just the modules against the headers. But as I say, I'm just stumbling through, so am probably expecting too much or am doing the wrong thing(s).

Question 2:
--------
Closely related, last time I faced a situation like this, I downloaded the kernel source for the same version of stock kernel I was running and copied the "config-[kernelverson]" file to /usr/src/linux/.config, and then compiled, expecting to get almost the exact same kernel I started with. However, it wasn't nearly the same (I don't remember the details now). I know this is vague information, but does anyone have an explanation for that?

Thanks!

Kent