Re: Patched sendmail? testing?

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 05:05:05PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > the new safe signals implementation has caused some problems which mean
> > that the next upstream release will allow them to be turned off.
>
> Argh.
> Do you know if that is a compile-time switch or a run-time switch? I've
> had some very fun debugging sessions based on perl's signal handling
> changes and the only thing worse than having to deal with the current
> safe signals would be making my programs have to deal with both sorts.

Fear not; I believe that it'll be controlled by $ENV{PERL_SIGNALS} being
'unsafe' or 'safe'. All the other syntactic tricks that were proposed
seemed to blow up on older versions of perl, which would have defeated
the point.

(The signature was the implementor's frustrated summary on trying to get
anyone to agree on what the switch should be ...)

"My suggestion is that we create a new programming language for the
purpose, written completely in Akkadian cuneiform, Nepalese, and
backwards." -- Jarkko Hietaniemi, perl5-porters