Re: Patched sendmail? testing?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:53:18PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 04:11:02PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > Well, then shouldn't it allow "stable" to be released often enough that it
> > acn be used in production> For instance how old are the prel modules, and
> > devlopment environment in it? Ancinet by modern standards.
>
> We're trying, damnit.

Oh, also, it is far from obvious to me that perl 5.8.0 is yet stable
enough for production use. For instance, its behaviour of interpreting
input streams as UTF-8 in UTF-8 locales is being changed upstream in
response to many bug reports (particularly from Red Hat 8.0 users, since
that shipped with a UTF-8 locale as the default), and the new safe
signals implementation has caused some problems which mean that the next
upstream release will allow them to be turned off. I'm avoiding shipping
anything later than perl 5.6.1 with our products at work, perl 5.6.1 is
still formally supported, and it's a rare module that can't be built for
it.

So I think your example nicely demonstrates that current is not stable,
and that lightning-fast integration of brand new upstream releases into
Debian stable is not necessarily what people using Debian in production
actually need. Version numbers are not everything. If you want something
newer for some specific case, then you've always got the source.

Cheers,