Re: Upgrade to KDE 3.1

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 08:05, Sharninder wrote:

> I have been using kde 2.2 which comes with woody since a long time
> now. But recently i downloaded all the 250 MBs of backported debian
> packages of KDE 3.1 from ftp.kde.org. And i have them on a comp.
> somewhere on my network. Now, i want to upgrade my personal desktop
> to kde 3.1. I downloaded all the files from the kde server to my
> server and have ftp access to it. What line do i insert in my
> sources.list to apt-get update and install the kde update on all the
> desktops from the server itself. And what command should i give to
> update everything.I have downloaded the whole /pub/kde/stable/*
> hierarchy from kde's servers

What I would usually do (and there may be a better way) is on the new PC I
would add the appropriate URL to /etc/apt/sources.list for retreiving the
debs and then run an "apt-get update" to make the computer aware of the
available updates.

Next I would copy all of the debs to /var/cache/apt/archives on the new PC and
simply run "apt-get dist-upgrade".  This way you can use apt to solve any
dependency issues for you but still use the pre-downloaded files.

If you want to set up your server as an apt source then I'm sure that can be
done as well (I'm just not sure how).

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                     http://wehave.net/
Brampton, Ontario, Canada                                    Debian GNU/Linux