Advice needed in package building process

I am building my own MySQL .deb as I like to have everything in /usr/local/mysql.  I've pretty much got it all down, but the one thing that I would really like to have happen is to run the this at the end of the install process:

echo "/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql" >> /etc/ld.so.conf && ldconfig

I tried put that in the debian/postinst, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Does anyone have any helpful hints?

Many thanx, Gary
http://www.linuxmail.org/