Re: Dumb question: How do you reboot?

Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

Ok, so I'm stumped. I just did a nice new install of Debian Woody, and I can't figure out how I should reboot the thing. I have GNOME 1.4 running. There's no 'reboot' menu item, and when I log out, it brings me to the GNOME login screen, with no 'reboot' item there, either. CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work on the login screen. CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE cuts out of X for a second, but then it pops right back into the GNOME login. The last time all I could do was CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE repeatedly until X gave me an error and quit for good, then I could CTRL-ALT-DEL it.

It seems like I must be missing something extraordinarily easy here.

- Joel

I believe the next version of Gnome's login screen (gdm) implements a menu allowing you to shutdown/reboot.

In the meanwhile, you can:

1) from within a terminal window within X, type "shutdown -r now" as root. (Or to shutdown (halt) instead of reboot, "shutdown -h now".)

or

2) Switch to a virtual terminal (VT) by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F[1 thru 6 in most cases). So, Ctrl-Alt-F2 would switch you to the second VT. At that point, you can type "shutdown -r now".

or

3) Switch to a virtual terminal as in option 2 above, then press Ctrl-Alt-Delete which if your /etc/inittab is set to the default will begin a shutdown/reboot process.

Kent