Networking configuration?

Hi, all:

I'm not sure how I broke networking, but when I boot up, my ethernet card
is recognised, but it has no IP address and the box is not known to my
other lan boxes.  Doing

#ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.11

corrects the problem, but now the external network is unavailable.  Doing

#route add default gw 192.168.1.1

fixes that problem.

Where are the configuration files to automate all this?  It used to work,
but I have recently been messing with the box - I updated everything
updatable with aptitude, I've recompiled the kernel a few times, I finally
got sound and my cd drive and a USB scanner working, but somewhere along
the line I broke networking!

Thanks.

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*