Re: Setting up a "reverse proxy"

Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:

> I have a number of services running on my LAN at home that are only
> accessible to internal users. I'd like to have some way to make my
> laptop be an "internal user" when I'm not at home.

You probably want some sort of VPN for this.  I use PPP over SSH,
using vpnstarter[1].  I treat 192.168.* as internal... 192.168.1.*
are the real home network, 192.168.2.* are the PPPoSSH stuff.

PPP over SSH gets a bad rap[2] but in my practical use of it for
about 3 years, has proven to be stable and very useful.  It's a lot
easier to set up than IPSec, which is a much better general solution,
but has problems with NAT and firewalls which don't support it or
allow it through.

Important note: Make sure that ANY vpning to home from work is
approved by your network administrator!

So, take a look at VPNs for Linux.  There are a bunch out there
(ipsec, cipe, and a couple others, I think...) so things may have
changed since I last evaluated them.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.detached.net/vpnstarter/

[2]  http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html