Re: Patched sendmail? testing?

* stan <stanb@awod.com> [20030304 11:06 PST]:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:02:10PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > >
> > > And my choices are?
> > >
> > > As I see them.
> > >
> > > 1. Run unstable, and have a broken system more often than not.
> > > 2. Run stable and have 1970's versions of software/
> >
> > That's a hopeless exaggeration; I run stable happily on my home server.
> > Anyway, if you run testing you need to manage the security yourself by
> > backporting patches. I don't believe anyone will ever have told you
> > otherwise.
> >
> > (It's not an ideal situation, true. However, it's reality.)
> >
> Not idael at all. As a matter of fact, it makes the whole concept of a
> testing release pretty useless. Look:

Well, less than useless, I'd consider "testing release" an oxymoron.

The latest stable release of Debian is 3.0r1. The last update to this
release was made on December 16th, 2002.

(from http://www.debian.org/)

Have you read these?

http://www.debian.org/releases/
http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives#s-testing
http://www.debian.org/devel/testing
http://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing

Anyone running testing anywhere (much less on a production system)
should know this stuff.

good times,
Vineet
--