Re: TFT monitor and XF86config-4

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 11:52 am, Mike! wrote:
> Dave Selby wrote:
> >?Have just bought a TFT monitor, works well except
> > occasionaly some of text is blurred on top pixel line....
> >?
> >?I remember when I was installing debian there were
> > questions about TFT monitors, at the time I ignored them.
> >?
> >?How can I re-run the configuration again without
> > re-installing ? I think it will be a
> >?
> >?dpkg-reconfigure ?????
> >?
>
> dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86

When I took the easy way it configured mine wrong.

You may need to select "advanced" and manually configure scan
rates and resolution, eliminating those that work but poorly.
I recommend looking in the monitor manual and selecting scan
rates in a narrow range so it can only choose the one you want.

When I left the range wide, it chose 1280x960 on a 1280x1024
monitor, even though 1280x960 was not listed as a proper
choice and 1280x1024 was.  This resulted in a vertical smear
over the whole screen.

Another option is to manually edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 .
Just specify the exact rates you want, and take out the others.

Another comment on TFT monitors ....   It is not enough to
match the scan rates.  Every pixel needs to line up, in the
correct phase, otherwise you get smearing.  It must be exact.
Most monitors have a means of automatically matching it.  You
might need to activate it by pushing a button on the monitor.