From: Rudy Gevaert [mailto:webworm@zeus.rug.ac.be]On Behalf Of Rudy
Gevaert
Sent: 04 March 2003 11:55
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: kernel-image install doesn't work

Hi,

I just tried to install the kernel-image-2.4.18 on woody.
When I reboot my machine I get:

request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01

I don't understand why I should add a "root=" boot option, my old
kernel doesn't have this and it works.

This is my lilo.conf:
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=LinuxOLD
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=LinuxOLD

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional

Thanks in advance,
--
Rudy Gevaert                rudy@gnu.org rudy@zeus.rug.ac.be
Web page                    http://www.webworm.org

Happiness is good health and a bad memory.
                              - Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)