Re: Xfs problem

Thnak you very mùuch i installed the xfs server and got rid of that message, maybe i'll remove xfonts later since you told me i don't really need it.

My X server can't start yet, the first error message in my log file is (WW) Cannot open APM. But i didn't compiled my kernel with apm and there's nothing related with it in XF86Config-4.
Then :
(WW) MGA(0): Video BIOS info block not detected!
(WW) MGA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xe5f00000,0x40000)

Could this be the reson why the X server won't start ?

If yes could it be because of the drivers (found on matrox' website).

Here's my log file, almost complete (i copied just the most relevant lines), could you tell me if you see anything abnormal ?

Thanx

 Martin Kacerovsky <wizard@matfyz.cz> wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:26:42PM +0100, Miky J wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to make my X server to start.
> In my error log i have, at the end :
> Could not init font path element unix:/7100, removing from list

That means that you are not running x font server on 7100,
so fonts will be taken only from local directories

> I was told that it means the xfs server is not started
> and it should be.

You can run X server without font server,
just comment out the line in XF86Config-4 :

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
# FontPath "unix/:7100"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"

[...]
EndSection

> How can i do that ?

If you really need xfs or really want it:
Install xfs e.g. in dselect
and then see man page of it to get it work
You will only specify paths with fonts in /etc/xfs.conf or something
like that and also the port to run (e.g 7100)

> Do i have to compile something special in the kernel
> to make it work ?

No.

> Thanx

Bye.