Firewalling under Debian

My son's proposed network is to be this:

Firewall / NAT / Gateway machine connected to cable using 1 nic.
Connects to hardware router / switch using 2nd nic.
He has the switch and will be buying a PIII 400 2nd hand for the fw.
We both know it's overkill but spares for PIIIs are cheaper than earlier
models apparently.

Switch connects to 2 * dual boot Mdk/Win XP machines and 1 network printer.

The fw machine is to run Debian with 2.4 kernel and iptables.
My question is, what is the best way to go about setting up the Debian fw

I have the 7 cds for 3.0r1.

Bob Parker