Re: Howto auto unpack/read "README.Debian.gz" ?

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 02:17, nate wrote:
> Joao Pedro Clemente said:
> >
> > AS I've seen some of these files after installing some packages, as since
> > they are not unpacked by apt-get, I am wondering if there isn't a "smart"
> > way of reading this instead of unpacking first...
> >
> > I wonder if, for instance, "less" could automatically unpack it for
>
> I use 'zmore'
>
> zmore README.gz
>
> zcat should work too
>
> wish there were such tools for .bz2 archives......
>
> nate

less, at least by the time of the one in unstable, automagically pipes
the file, gzipped or bzipped, through the appropriate decompressor
before paging the file, if you include

	eval $(lessfile)

in your profile. lesspipe is also a possibility - both are included in
the "less" package. Use man lesspipe|lessfile - the two commands are the
same executable, adjusted in behaviour based on the calling name.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org