Re: /var/cache/apt/archives is big

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 13:54, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Sebastiaan wrote:
>
> > Yes: rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
> >
> > You usually update packages only, or install it once. You won't harm your
> > system if you remove the old packages. If it is needed, the packages will
> > be downloaded again.
>
> Not if it isn't in the repository anymore. It's nice to be able to work
> around a broken package by downgrading to the old one. These days
> especially, the predecessor to a broken sid package may not be in
> testing or stable.

I think the APT::Clean-Installed of /etc/apt/apt.conf will do that
for you.  From "man apt-get" : "The configuration option
APT::Clean-Installed will prevent installed packages from being erased
if it is set off."

So for me, without an apt.conf file, this would have deleted 834 files:
  # apt-get -s autoclean

However, the same command with this in /etc/apt/apt.conf only deleted
789 files:
  # cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
  APT::Clean-Installed "off";

Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| The difference between Rock&Roll and Country Music?       |
| Old Rockers still on tour are pathetic, but old Country   |
| signers are still great.                                  |