Re: crontab just wont stop mailing ... !

Dave Selby wrote:

> Every so oftern it decides to mail its output, it does not know where it is
> supposed to mail, starts a ppp link and talks to the web.

> Jan 30 07:24:01 debian anacron[249]: Job `cron.weekly' terminated (mailing
> output)
> Jan 30 07:24:01 debian pppd[189]: Starting link
> Jan 30 07:24:29 debian pppd[189]: Serial connection established.
> Jan 30 07:24:29 debian pppd[189]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem

At a guess something in /etc/cron.weekly/* is causing the trouble.

> My /etc/crontab now looks like ...

That just calls the scripts in /etc/cron.weekly and others.  Check all
of them, specifically weekly, and see what you see.

> I thought I had cured the problem until it did it again tonight !!!
> do I need to do something with the crontab command ??

*Any* output from a crontab command is simply mailed to the owner of
the crontab.  In this case it looks like root.

Why would mail access the network?  Will diald start if you simply
send a mail message?  From the local user to the local user?
Something does not seem right there.  Perhaps it is configured for DNS
to the net and therefore is spawning to look up a hostname?  Perhaps
you have a smarthost configured and it is forwarding?  Just guesses.

If that is the problem then you will need to deduce ways around the
problem.  It is normal for some crontabs to generate output which
needs to be mailed.  You won't want to completely prevent that.

Bob