Von: Michael Heironimus [mailto:mkh01@earthlink.net]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2003 21:06
An: 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
Betreff: Re: YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 05:53:44PM +0100, Yildiz, Murat wrote:
> I get the following message on my console every few minutes.I configured
it
> as a nis client and ypbind tells at the star that it cannot bind to
domain.
> The NIS server is in a different subnet.If I put the client machine in the
> same subnet as the server , everything is ok.
> Why does the ypclient have a problem with a server on a different
> subnet?Does the ypbind broadcast only within the same subnet?

Yes, ypbind will broadcast only within the subnet. In general, that's
how any broadcast-based software works. It's a bad idea to use
broadcasts for NIS anyway, though, you should explicitly give it a list
of servers to use. As I recall you set those up in /etc/yp.conf, check
the man page for ypbind for the syntax of that file.

--
Michael Heironimus