Re: (Newbie) Functioning In Debian

Marc Wilson wrote:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:37:39PM -0600, Donald Spoon wrote:

The only problem was that I had to grab the Quicktime win32 audio dlls to
get sound going.

I've fiddled and fiddled and gotten nowhere with doing this.  All I was
ever able to make mplayer do was segfault in various interesting ways (and
take down X once, but that's not relevant).

Care to detail what files to swipe, and where to swipe 'em from, and where
to put them?

Or just a pointer to TFM. ^_^

I started off with a relatively "fresh" install of Debian "testing" with Mozilla and OpenOffice.org pulled from unstable (Sid)... mostly a "testing" system. System is a K6/2-500 cpu with 256 Megs of RAM, SB64-AWE sound card, and Voodoo3 - 2000 video card. Sound and Video (including X) all working with "standard" Debian drivers. No Alsa... no special system "tweaks".

1.  Installed mplayer: deb http://marillat.free.fr/ testing  main
2.  Got the basic mplayer working.  Generally used the defaults.
3.  Grabed the win32 "tarball" from
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design5/dload.html. P.S you might have to also get the "extra" codecs too... dunno. I already had some QuickTime dlls on another system from previous experiments that I copied over initially... 4. Extracted the archive and copied the contents to /usr/lib/win32/ ... you might have to create this directory. 5. Tested out the install on some local files and fine-tuned the /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file. I really didn't change much here, except to experiment with the tdfxfb video "driver" (the -vo option).http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerplug-in/ 6. Tested out the system on the PLUGGER test site at: http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger/test.html 7. Downloaded, extracted, & compiled the mplayer-mozilla tarball from sourceforge.net: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerplug-in/. 8 . Tested out the plug-in on several web sites (www.quicktime.com, etc).http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerplug-in/

Since I did all of the above, I have notice debian packages at the marillat.free.fr site for the win32 codecs and for the mozilla plug-in. I have NOT installed these, since I already had it working from the above. You might give them a try if you want to go the "all deb" route.

I may have gotten lucky, but they all seemed to work right from the start without much intervention on my part. As I mentioned, the only problem I had initially was with sound on QuickTime, and that was fixed when I copied over the QT stuff from my previous experiments to the /usr/lib/win31/ directory. This might be fixed in the marilatt w32codec debs...dunno.

This answer your question??

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-