Re: default permissions on /root

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:45:14PM -0600, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:07:38PM -0500, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> > Can anyone explain to me why /root has
> > default permissions of 700 on a clean
> > install?
>
> Because that's root's home directory and you normally don't want any
> user's home directory to be world-readable.

Questionable on the "any user" part (if it was clear-cut 'should not
be world-readable', why does debian default to 755 for non-root
users?), but agreed that root's should be locked down, since it's
somewhat likely to contain system-sensitive files.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that