Re: my ongowing struggle with java

karrottop wrote:

> Ok, I have been having a horrible time getting java to behave, I
> thought  I followed the directions explicitly but I guess I messed
> something up somewhere.  Here is what I did:
>
> First I unpacked everything in /usr/java/ and added this to a line in my
> /etc/profile
>
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin"
>
> Then I copied the symlink in /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/ to my
> ~/.mozilla/plugins folder.  Now here is the wierd part. There are 3 sets
> of plugins in there  ns4 ns600 and ns610.  If I use the ns4 plugin
> java:plugin does tell me that it is loaded but when I go to a site that
> requires java_vm it tells me that the plugin does not exist.  if I use
> either of the other two plugins it simply crashes my browser (makes it
> disappear)  I have gotten a terminal message that tells me it could not
> exec java_vm.  I have also had my Path statement like it is commonly
> done in my ~/.bash_profile with the export path but that did not work
> either.

How do you start X? I have noticed that when using an X display manager,
your .bash_profile may NOT be processed on login, and so any environment
variables you set in it are not part of your X environment. Xterms may
process .bash_profile if xterm is set up to run login shells, but that
doesn't affect any other X apps that may be running (like the
gnome-panel or KDE kicker that hosts the apps menu). I have definitely
seen this problem with KDE 3.1, but I have not checked it under GDM or
other display managers.

One way to see if this is the problem might be to start mozilla from a
shell window after ensuring that the environment is set up properly in
that shell. If that works, then you need to figure out how to get your
environment set up properly in X.

Craig