my ongowing struggle with java

Ok, I have been having a horrible time getting java to behave, I
thought  I followed the directions explicitly but I guess I messed
something up somewhere.  Here is what I did:

First I unpacked everything in /usr/java/ and added this to a line in my
/etc/profile

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin"

Then I copied the symlink in /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/ to my
~/.mozilla/plugins folder.  Now here is the wierd part. There are 3 sets
of plugins in there  ns4 ns600 and ns610.  If I use the ns4 plugin
java:plugin does tell me that it is loaded but when I go to a site that
requires java_vm it tells me that the plugin does not exist.  if I use
either of the other two plugins it simply crashes my browser (makes it
disappear)  I have gotten a terminal message that tells me it could not
exec java_vm.  I have also had my Path statement like it is commonly
done in my ~/.bash_profile with the export path but that did not work
either.

Thanks for the help,
Jason