Gamepads

This isn't so much Debian related as it is just general hardware info.
I have a Gravis gamepad. It looks like a Playstation controller, which is great for SNES emulation. Unfortunately, the directional pad is hard to control. You have to really concentrate to make sure that when you change direction from down to right that it doesn't still think you are pressing down AND right.

So I am in the market for a new gamepad. It is one thing to find out what is supported in Linux, but it is another to buy a gamepad that is not only comfortable but intuitive. Any suggestions? People have suggested MS Sidewinders, which I will consider, but I wonder if a cheaper solution exists (correct me if I am wrong, but I last remember it going for $25-$30 (USD)).

Thanks,
Gianfranco