using pcmcia and via82cxxx modules at the same time

(Forgive me if this seems stupid -- I've confused myself utterly.)

Installed Woody 3.0r1, mostly from CD-ROM, on a laptop.
Using kernel image 2.2.20 idepci.  PCMCIA support is perfect.

I want to try out some audio stuff, and need module via82cxxx.
However, this isn't available for 2.2.20-idepci (as far as I can see)
so I tried kernel image 2.2.20 instead.  However, *that* doesn't
seem to have any pcmcia support.

Do I have to build my own kernel to get both supported?

	Yours in a tizzy,
	Niall