Re: About to go all Deb

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 05:44, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2003 16:11:48 +0000
> Shri Shrikumar <shri@vitalstate.co.uk> wrote:
> > > /tmp		2gig
>
> > /tmp get used only during boot and such and like boot, doesnt usually
> > require a seperate partition. If you are going to provide a seperate
> > partition, it could be alot smaller. 512Mb should be enough
>
>     Uhhh, used only during boot?  You're sure about that?
>
>     A quick look into my tmp shows that the Sylpheed process I am running to
> write this hits /tmp, I know vim likes to place its temporary files in /tmp,
> kde and screen both have files it creates in /tmp.  /tmp is wildly used in the
> day to day processes a machine goes through.

Agreed - try using The GIMP with virtually no /tmp. Although it isn't
universally the method for dealing with things like undo buffers, if a
program doesn't have the room for them where it wants to deal with them,
you are OOL if you want to do anything of complexity and didn't have the
room needed.

Interactive  programs are more likely to make use of /tmp, such as tar
extractors that permit you to view file contents before the full
extraction.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org