Re: Dummy

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 04:33:03AM -0600, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> Hello. I hope you do not mind a real dummy hanging around here. I know
> nothing about Linux or Unix, but I want to learn. I hardly know a couple of
> command-line commands, so I am in need to get an X Window in my GNU Debian I
> have been trying to install. I must be doing something wrong in the
> installation. For example, I have a modest NVIDIA TNT2 64/64 pro, I do not
> know which, but it is not that important. In the list of graphics cards once
> I chose "nv" for the card, and in another try I chose something else I don't
> remember. Can you tell me what is the right choice?

nv was the right choice.

you can also get binary drivers from nvidia and compile them - look for
the debian packages:

  nvidia-glx-src - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
  nvidia-kernel-src - NVIDIA binary kernel module

> Also, the installation cannot detect my external USB modem (I have one
> internal, but it is a Win Modem, so I have no hopes to use it in Linux). But
> I have the Linux drivers (.rpm), but I do not have the slightest idea of how
> to install them.  Can you also help here?

sorry don't know anything about usb modems - serial ones are the
easiest to set up under linux, but I think some usb ones are supported.

> Lastly, I would like to know what is the PS/2 (mice) port in Linux. I chose
> "/input/mice", is this correct?

nope, you want /dev/psaux

When X asks for a mouse protocal you can use "PS/2" for a two are
three button mouse or "IMPS/2" for a wheel mouse.

The only trap for young players with mice and X is if you are running
gpm (the general purpose mouse driver), which allows you to use a
mouse under virtual terminals. If this is the case, you can either
uninstall gpm or you can tell X to use gpm as well. Others will prolly
be better able to help if you want to do this.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3