Re: getting bash back on a system

Hi,

* Eric R Cheney <cheney@soc.umass.edu> [030227 13:12]:

> Well, I managed the dumbest: I uninstalled bash (don't ask, please
> don't ask why...).   Though apt complained it didn't want to...I did.
> Ouch!

I'd be surprised if you could "unistall" bash. Surely you just deleted
/bin/bash. No?

If this is the case then just get /bin/bash from another machine.

scp othermachine:/bin/bash /bin/

Then with the binary there, you should be able to run apt-get and
friends. So reinstall bash, to make sure you have the correct binary

apt-get install --reinstall bash

HTH,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux onefish 2.4.20-lavienx #1 Mon Jan 6 17:03:01 JST 2003