Re: Very few packages selected during install

Jason Pepas wrote:
> I have observed the following behavior with debian woody (3.0) installs:
>
> - if you say "no" to tasksel, a very very minimal set of packages are
> installed.
> - if you say "yes" to tasksel, but don't select any packages, a bunch more
> packages are installed than the above.
>
> my question is, how can I select the packages which the second option
> installed, and where can I read more about why this is happening (ie, what
> policy is this following?)

It's confusing isn't it. What's going on is that when tasksel[1] (or
dselect or aptitude (I think)) is run, it automatically marks for
install the set of packages that are of standard priority or higher.
Even if you don't select anything yourself. This is because policy says:

     `standard'
          These packages provide a reasonably small but not too limited
          character-mode system.  This is what will be installed by default
          if the user doesn't select anything else.  It doesn't include
          many large applications.

And because without selecting these, as was done in potato for a while, people
were ending up lacking stuff like gpm, and got confused.

But if tasksel is not run, nothing selects those packages, and so you get
only the bare base system. Which is good for people who really know what
they are doing.

You can select that set at the command line by running tasksel -risn.

I'd like to make this more obvious, but trying to explain the distinction
at install time runs the risk of overloading the new Debian user who jus
wants a reasonable system. So instead I have left it as a little trick
that experienced users will stumble over as they begin to skip all package
selection at install time.

--
see shy jo

[1] tasksel -ris really