cyrdeliver fails with errorcode 75

Using cyrus 1.5.19 on debian-testing. Noticed exim 3.36 wasn't delivering local mail -- it had been using a simple pipe driver to the command "cyrdeliver". Checked cyrdeliver out, read the manpage, and tried to make it work manually -- it fails, with no messages to anywhere -- no log, no stdout, no stderr -- just errorcode 75, which isn't mentioned anywhere in the docs. I have no quotas set (checked this), and I have tried this with the most permissive ACL's possible (giving anonymous admin access) -- no change. I can access the accounts via IMAP, drop mail in, move mail out, but I cannot deliver mail via cyrdeliver. The only option that gives me anything different is the option for LMTP, which seems like it would work fine, except that exim doesn't seem to support LMTP.

Is this a known bug? I've tried going to unstable and using cyrus 2.something, which wouldn't even install -- the cyrus sasl libraries failed to install. The cyrus website is no help at all -- 1.x is depricated and no longer supported.