Character encodings/Locale

My understanding of Locales and encodings is very poor.

I received an eamil message that included this word:

   cinémathèque  (that has two accented e chars)

I'm using Pine in an xterm window.  If I cut-n-paste it I get:

   cinmathque

Same if I paste into a bash shell, for example:

   moseley@bumby:~$ cinmathque

But if I start up xemacs I can paste it in without dropping the accented
chars.

Can someone explain the difference?  Also, what do I need to do to set my
machine to work with 8859-1 instead of just ASCII?

Is there a good FAQ or HOWTO that explains this stuff?

$ locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"